Sunday, June 9, 2013

FO: Socks, Fully Groked

I went several decades without ever attempting a sock. In fact, in that time I don't think I even considered knitting socks for a combined five minutes. Beyond that irrational fear of turning a heel, I had one other reason: I'm very particular about how my socks fit.

Yes, re-read that last line as I smack my palm on my forehead. It was only after I'd finished two pairs and taken that Yarnover Grok the Sock class that the full stupidity of that statement sunk in. Well Golll-ly, you can customize them to fit your feet exactly.

grok-socks-2

Pattern: Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's recipe fully customized 
Yarn: Schoppel-Wolle Crazy Zauberball (Arroyo)

These are pretty spot-on (despite the twisted toe that came while trying to photograph my own feet).

What surprise insights has knitting brought your way?

2 comments:

  1. They fit beautifully--and look at that heel! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude...you care how your socks fit? As long as mine manage to hang onto my feet, I'm good. Like, the elastic can be completely shot from the dryer, every one of my toes can fit through a large hole in the toe part, and as long as they can still be held in place by shoes (even a mismatched pair of shoes), I figure they've still got plenty of life left in them.

    Another question - don't your feet get little knitting-row marks on them from hand-knit socks? Are these cashmere or something so that they don't do that? I think I would have to knit with darning needles to get a fine enough row that you wouldn't end up with patterned feet. One of Tom's brother-in-law's relatives sent us some hand-knit socks from Romania (where they live) and I swear, by the end of the day it felt like I was walking on little rows of gravels.

    Also, do you have to now buy your shoes a size larger to fit all this yarn plus your foot into them?

    ReplyDelete